Saturday, February 7, 2009

Since I switched from GNOME to KDE (at the time of the migration from Hardy to Intrepid) my relationship with this desktop manager has always been quite likely to one with a woman. There's passion, bewilderment but also disappointment and sometimes frustration.
Despite this exciting relation, I must admit that KDE is leaping on the curve of stability and usability.
KDE4.1 was very buggy and frustrating but with the fresh new 4.2 version lots of things have greatly improved.
I've never used KDE3 but no one can deny the fact that it took a lot of courage, not speaking of sense of the vision, to jump to this revolutionary version of the desktop manager. It's like KDE wants to say "I can do and look better than OSX!" Maybe today we're not too far from the target...
Part of this is thanks to the Qt library. Despite Trolltech (now Nokia) creature is not so beloved inside the open source community because of its license limitation (which I deem unfair given that the restrictions apply to the commercial software), it has the pros to be really powerful and good looking.
Anyway, by checking the KDE web site I spot this interesting interview of Dario Freddi, a KDE developer and fellow Italian, so I thought to give it a plug here.
Here below it's just an excerpt, you can find the complete interview in English here, and in Italian here.
----------------------- enjoy
Observing your "conversion on the way to Damascus" I ask you what you like of the other Desktop Managers and if you feel that KDE is missing something in respect to them.
Dario: Bearing in mind that the only ones I have actively used for some time are Enlightenment E17 and GNOME, I won't express much on E17. I tried it some time ago, and still today I give it the credit of pushing me to learn the command line, because it was in an early stage of developement at that time. I would like to give it a try today, especially because of the good things they are doing (we'll be able to create plasmoids with QEdje in KDE 4.2), and I'm sure I'll do it when I'll
have time.

Regarding GNOME, it's a difficult question, but the answer is, honestly, that I think that KDE doesn't miss anything that GNOME has. On the contrary, I think that the idea that "GNOME is more usable" is partly wrong because, in this area, KDE is gaining ground. KDE has improved a lot regarding usability and rationalisation of the user interfaces, which was some time ago
GNOME's strong point. We should give credit of this change to the organisation of the community, where there are people working exclusively on these aspects. You can tell me I'm coloured, but at the time being (and I'm talking about KDE 4.2), KDE doesn't have anything to envy GNOME (after all, if I have been converted and I didn't get back there should be a reason! :D).

No comments:

Post a Comment