Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Scummvm for Symbian S60v5

On Scummvm forum Anotherguest opened a thread to present his pre-released Scummvm version including an effort for porting the famous emulator to the S60v5 platform from Nokia.
To all those who don't have a clue, Scummvm is the acronym of Script Creation Utility for Maniac Mansion Virtual Machine. Scumm itself is a scripting language developed by Lucasfilm Games to create point-and-clicks games of the sort of Maniac Mansion and the following many award winning games. Scummvm then is a free and open source software project to make a portable SCUMM-engine client which allows many of the SCUMM-engine based games to be played on systems where the original versions will not work like MS Windows, Macintosh OS, Linux, AmigaOS, Palm OS, PocketPC, Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, Nintendo DS, Wii, Symbian (SeriesXX and UIQ), iPhone/iPod Touch.
If you haven't tried it yet, I strongly advise you to give Scummvm a try because -especially if you're in your thirties as I am- the sensation to play again those title made you dream when you were younger and the world had different nuances of color, is priceless. Speaking of price it's worth to know that Scummvm is totally free and -more of that- released under the GPL (General Public License).
Going back to the very subject of this post, Anotherguest has prepared packages for a pre-release version with the 0.13.0 engine. This version, which will soon substitute the current 0.12.0 stable release, includes support for the touch input system thus making the emulator running on the 5800 XM. Several people replied to the announce with report of tests on their devices, questions and suggestions for Anotherguest. He promptly replied and showed interest in going on with the refining of the 5800 XM support. Some issues are already solved, some others still remain as i.e. an unhappy division of the screen with a lot of space allocated to the virtual keyboard.
Anyway I tested the Scummvm subversion myself. I did a lot of digging in my parents' basement, grabbed all the dust covered game boxes I could find and, for each game, transfered the floppies content in a folder and then copied that folder in my games folder of the 5800 XM device. I found that almost all the games I tried work flawlessly. Up to now I tried Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken (these two extensively), Loom, Monkey Island 1, Monkey Island 2, Lure of the Temptress (this can be legally downloaded for free from the software house website), Space Quest 1 and 2, leisure suit larry 1 and Simon the Sorcer 1 (this doesn't run well on my device as I can't click on the commands and can't open the menu in any way).
I'm already about to finish Maniac Mansion and can't wait for it so I have time to go on with Zak! Is Scummvm making me forget about my XBox360? Not really, yet I dare to say it's a killer application for the new mobile devices. Right now the project it's quite mature and do cast a new light on a world that is now more evergreen than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment