Monday, February 2, 2009

Cool apps for Nokia 5800 XpressMusic mobile phone

Since last Friday I'm a happy owner of a Nokia 5800 mobile phone. This is the so-called Iphone killer made by Nokia. I don't really stick with the definition, especially for the hardware construction (multi touch, and hull:) mainly) and -totally- for the available applications. This said, I cross compared the various touchie phones out there (Iphone, Nokia5800, Samsung Omnia, Blackberry Storm, LG KC910) and discovered that there no one of them that can be defined as superior to the others.
Each of them excels in one or a bunch of features and lacks or it's poor something else. Takes the LG and Nokia in example. The first has a more mature OS, a very good battery and possibly the highest resolution (640x360). The latter has a 8M pixel 1600 Iso camera, HSDPA 7.2 Mbps transfer rate but half the resolution of the Nokia. This is just a rough example and cross comparing the various phones (with price and carrier offers as crucial items) can be quite interesting and useful to chose the device which suits your needs best.
I chose the Nokia because, having and interesting price and a convenient carrier plan, I like it's high resolution display, it's mature OS (I don't wanna have anything to do with Windows Mobile), it's sexy and elegant design, and the reviews about its touch screen input. About this subject I must say that I was a bit biased -that meaning I was scared- about the usability and precision of such an input method. After just 3 days of ownership I must say that, at least on the Nokia 5800 device, this system is awesome. I haven't had any problem with it and my writing is now faster than it was with my previous traditional mobile.
On the application side though I think this Nokia device is at the moment behind some others like of course the Iphone, the G1(which hasn't yet arrived in Italy), all the Windows Mobile phones and, curiously, even the Blackberry Bold and Storm. Just as a nice example there's no Fring available for this phone yet. Things are going to improve in time (and they are) for sure.
In the meantime I found that the Honk Hong web page is giving out some cool free utilities and games. Here below some of the most interesting (at least for western users):
AA Mobile Widget (it shows you the latest financial information)
Mail for Exchange (synchronize your e-mail, contacts, calendars)
Touch Card Match (the classic evergreen game)
Touch Maneuver (a nice ability game)
Touch Piano (a touch screen piano)
Touch Guitar (a touch guitar)
Touch Popper (bust the bubbles!)
Motion Dice Box (play dice with your friends)
To check all the application available just check this page

No comments:

Post a Comment