Monday, December 29, 2008

Ben's Imaginary Band rocks

I sometimes wander about Jamendo, an excellent web site which collect and promote artists who feel like making their songs or, more commonly, albums available to the public under a Creative Commons License.
A few days ago I was then wandering about Jamendo and stumbled upon this album from Ben's Imaginary Band. I was in the mood of listening to something calm and the tags "pop - indie - acoustic" did intrigue me. Thus I downloaded the album and since then I'm listening to it over and over.

Nocturnal Fables and Illusions is the first album from Ben's Imaginary Band, a young independent and very promising Canadian artist. The album contains a total of 12 songs all acoustically very refined so that they give the album a halo of elegance. Ben sings his ballades with a warm a relaxing voice which almost lulls the listener while bringing him or her to a world of dreamy sensations. Among these ballades are a few of more lively songs -mostly in the second part of the album- which, also in this case, convey a sensation of equilibrium. My favourite songs are:
01- Underwater Waltz
02- Black Sheep
04 - A Reason Why
07 - My Self-centered World
11 - Chloroform For Your Ears
I won't call myself a music savant but I dare say that this Ben's Imaginary Band first album is a masterwork in its way.
Now just a bit of background of the name of the band. The reason of the name is that the band doesn't exist, all is done by Ben. On his web site he tells the story of his music background and what most of all pushed him to write his first song recounting the events of an interesting yet terrifying Halloween.
I strongly invite you to listen to this album on Ben's website and, if you like if, you can even buy a copy of it. You will realise that the price of $15.00cdn (approx. 12,4US$ and 8,8€) is very low compared to the quality of the album.
Ben's says he will use the money to fund living expenses and new equipment while he make more music and, judging from what he already gave us, this is a very promising investment :)
Oh, and do not forget to spread the voice around your friends and family!

No comments:

Post a Comment